Thursday, February 16, 2012

Timing Is Everything


I got up this morning with the idea that I would have a great day taking pictures of the birds out back at our feeders.  Mother Nature however had other ideas and produced a very steady, but needed drizzle, which put a damper, (pun intended) on my plans.  I went out twice after that only to find it drizzling again!  Today clearly isn't my day to get pictures.

I did manage to shoot one shot, in the rain.  It's not great and frankly there weren't many birds at the feeders this morning.  I gave up, deleted the picture and settled for a day without pictures.  At 2:00pm, as if by divine intervention, the sun came out!  I grabbed my camera, a handful of birdseed and peanuts and ran out back.  I didn't know how long this moment would last.

I put the seed on the feeders and within seconds there was activity all around!  Northern Cardinals, Red Winged Blackbirds, Gray Catbirds, Painted Buntings, (only females, darn it) and Blue Jays.  It seemed pictures were everywhere!!  

I shot and shot and shot, and just when I thought I'd had enough pictures, there it was.  A flash of yellow in the short trees that dot the copse.  I banged off three shots.  I knew it was a Warbler, but I couldn't identify it, (frankly I am pretty bad at Warbler identification).  Here's the picture so you can tell me what I caught!


All in all the brief ten minutes or so shooting was very exciting.  I got some great shots, especially of the male & female Red Bellied Woodpecker; and they were my target for the day!!  

My experience tells me that patience does pay off!!!


Yay me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment