Wednesday, January 25, 2012

And Then They Appeared...

The quietness of the pre-dawn is a luxury that photographers get to have, just because they are dedicated to their craft.  This type of experience touches all the senses.  The colors of the early morning can only be described as magical.  The greens seem greener, the yellows yellower and the reds, redder.  This morning was no exception.


The food was on the feeders at 6:30am and there I was posed and ready.  As I stood there in the shadows, camera in hand, I began scoping the feeders and surrounding area for activity.  Then the thought came to mind, "I just might be here for a while".  I then wondered, "who wakes up the birds"?  For twenty minutes I pondered this thought.  Many questions popped into my mind.  "Should I have just put out the food and gone back up to my apartment and waited for some sign of activity?"  "Would the birds not come if I was out there?"  They've never disappointed me before.  Would today be different?


Then, as if by some silent alarm, I heard a distant call from what I thought was a Blue Jay.  Then moment by moment, the woodland sounds grew louder.  Chirps came from the left.  There was a rustle in the bushes to the right.  Then I saw them; Agelaius phoeniceus, Red Winged Blackbirds,.  Lots of Red Winged Blackbirds!!


They came in flocks!  Not big flocks, but rather very small ones.  My approximations were twenty to thirty birds per flock.  Within minutes the trees and bushes were alive with activity.  And Red Winged Blackbirds were not the only visitors.  There were, seemingly, within each flock, a random Grackle or three.  


The males were the bravest, hopping from branch to branch, towards the feeder, as if on a mission.  Only the sporadic slam of an apartment door or the beep of a car horn momentarily altered their quest for food.  Behind them came the females.  It seemed, though counting them at this point would be an impossible task, that there were as many females as males.  The females were content on waiting until the males determined that the area was safe before venturing to the feeders.


I had many opportunities for some great pictures.  The females, at times, even seemed to enjoy posing for me.  Now I'm sure that I'm just imagining this 'human' trait, but a glance over their left shoulder always seemed to follow another glance over their right.  And what beautiful little birds they are.


The males are known for their beautiful red and yellow wing patch, (more prominent in the breeding months starting as early as February and going until sometimes August, depending on the location).  However the female in her own right, is as beautiful with a dusky brown color, and heavily streaked under belly.

Their sound is melodic.  They seem to be proudly announcing their presence, while at the same time clearly letting all others in the area know that food is available.  The morning was filled with a gloriousness of sight and sound!  What a blessing to have such a beautiful bird to observe at our feeders!






No comments:

Post a Comment