Thursday, January 26, 2012

Meow?

Today was not the day to venture out and take pictures.  At least that was the case early this morning.  It was drizzling when I first opened my eyes at 6:30am, but by 8:30am it had stopped raining and was getting windy.  Note:  There's a cold front approaching and it should bring rain tonight followed by some cold temperatures early this weekend.

As I stood out back waiting for someone to grace my feeders, there was a small skirmish to my right, deep in the undergrowth.  I initially thought it was two squirrels fighting over territory, but then as suddenly all was quiet.  Then I heard it.  A faint, but unmistakeable 'meow'.  A cat?  No.  It can't be.  Wait, I know...it was nature's perfect cat impersonator; the Gray Catbird, (Durnetella carolinensis).

At first, I didn't see him/her.  The slate gray color and their black skull cap makes them virtually impossible to locate, if they don't want you to see them!  This visitor however did want me to see him/her, as he/she flitted and hopped from branch to branch, always partially in sight, but still deep enough in the shadows so that a picture was almost impossible.  I'm beginning to think that they know that I'm taking their pictures and sometimes they just don't want to be bothered.

As I've said before, patience is my one true virtue and again it did not let me down.  As the sun creeped ever so slowly across the sky, more and more bits and pieces of filtered sunlight dotted my woodland copse, it became impossible for Mr/Mrs. Catbird to hide and so finally the opportunity presented itself and I got the above shot.  Immediately the bird then flew deeper into the thicket, as if to say, "one picture is enough for today".  I remained steadfast in my resolve.  I wanted more!

I watched as Norther Cardinals, Mourning Doves, Painted Buntings, (females only) and the ever present Blue Jays came and went at my feeders.  Now this has become a quest.  I wanted more pictures of the elegant, though elusive Gray Catbird.  


The sun was up now and my backyard wood scape was awash with both large and ever so small spots of filtered sunshine.  I knew it was now inevitable that my quest was to soon be fulfilled.  And I was right.  As if on cue, it was treated to one of the most beautiful poses that a Gray Catbird can offer; tail up, the head erect, with alertness oozing from every pore.  "Take my picture," he/she seemed to say!

Knowing that raisins are, (excuse the pun), 'catnip' to a Gray Catbird, (and having included them into my birdseed mix this morning), it was only moments before he/she lit on my platform feeder, albeit for only one or two seconds, (enough time as to secure a morning raisin treat).


What a beautiful, elegant and graceful bird the Gray Catbird is!  We are lucky enough to have three pairs in our woods this time of year and being a careful observer I've come to learn about these creatures of habit, making it easier to get more and more photographs of this lovely creature.

It was another successful day in the 1/2 acre woods.  Thank you Mr/Mrs. Gray Catbird.  You are a gracious guest.

Let the "meowing" continue....

No comments:

Post a Comment