Sunday, January 22, 2012

Elusive Beauty

The other morning I was lucky enough to get some shots of one of the most elusive little birds that grace our woods.  During the winter months, usually around late August, this visitor from the North graces our feeders and stays until around March 1st.  This bird is small, yet I've come to find out that what it lacks in size it more than makes up for in tenacity!

You would recognize the male of the species immediately.  It is well known for its color; a purple head, yellow back and bright red breast.  The female on the other hand, in comparison, could be considered 'bland'.  However, I've come to find out that in the right lighting situations, the female of the species is a beauty in her own right!  I'm talking about the Painted Bunting.


As she sat in the sunlight that filtered through the towering pines I marveled at her colors.  She's green.  No, not really green, more yellow-green.  But no, not exactly yellow-green, more olive green.  Well, whatever green she is, she's beautiful!  Yes, beautiful and elegant would be the way to describe her.  And she's fast too!  Taking pictures of her is a challenge.  She doesn't sit still for long.  She's clearly on a mission and posing for pictures does not play into her agenda!  I was lucky enough to get a few good shots of her and she quickly became one of my backyard favorites.

I was also lucky enough to have a fleeting visit from what I think is a Pine Warbler.  Note: One of my major birding weaknesses is that I do not know my warblers well enough.  Give me time.  I'm working on it.  Note:  I'm my identification is incorrect, please feel free to correct me.




















All in all it was a great morning.  I can't wait until the sun comes up today.  You'll find me out there again.  Perhaps my newest 'goal bird', the Brown Thrasher, will make an appearance!?

No comments:

Post a Comment